Netherlands (CRC 11-02-2022)
The Committee considered the combined fifth and sixth periodic reports of the Netherlands at its 2566th and 2568th meetings, held on 1 and 2 February 2022, and adopted the present concluding observations at its 2682nd meeting, held on 11 February 2022.
B. General principles (arts. 2, 3, 6 and 12 of the Convention)
- The Committee welcomes the establishment of a National Coordinator against Discrimination and Racism and the measures taken to draft a national plan to combat all forms of discrimination, but remains concerned that not all municipalities have an anti-discrimination service in accordance with the Municipal Anti-Discrimination Services Act, and that regional disparities and de facto discrimination disproportionately affect children in disadvantaged situations, including in education, youth care and the justice system.
- Taking note of target 10.3 of the Sustainable Development Goals, the Committee recommends that the State party:
- Develop policies and awareness-raising measures aimed at addressing the root causes of de facto discrimination, with a view to eliminating stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination against, inter alia, children belonging to ethnic and religious minority groups (including Muslims, Jews and children of African descent), refugee, asylum-seeking, migrant and undocumented children, children with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex children and children living in poverty.
D. Violence against children (arts. 19, 24 (3), 28 (2), 34, 37 (a) and 39)
- The Committee recommends that the State party:
- Prohibit the performance of unnecessary medical or surgical treatment on intersex children where those procedures may be safely deferred until children are able to provide their informed consent and provide reparations for children who received unnecessary treatment;
- Provide adequate social, medical and psychological services, counselling and support to intersex children and their families;